Our effort in environmental sustainability includes investments in air pollution control equipment, recycling many types of non-product outputs including wooden pallets, cardboard, electronics, white paper, as well as many other things. Additionally, we have an established Energy Reduction Task Force that is charged with minimizing total plant energy usage through investment of new technology and continuous improvement activities.
At Logan Aluminum our vision is to demonstrate an increasing capability to operate injury free and to eliminate all “Life Changing Injuries”.
- Safety is Non-Negotiable
- Logan Aluminum has an expectation that all work can be performed injury-free. All team members will hold themselves and each other accountable for behaviors in accordance with safe work practices.
- All levels of the organization will clearly communicate in word and deed that safe work behaviors are expected.
- An injury-free work environment requires a cultural change and ensures team members have information, authority and resources required.
- Significant cultural and behavioral change is required, and it will happen with participation and involvement of all team members and is worth the effort required.
- Application of scientific methods, behavioral science, and statistical tools are critical to achieving injury free capabilities.
- At-risk behavior is the best predictor of safety performance.
Logan Safety Process
Team Member Engaged Risk Identification
Logan Aluminum employees are encouraged to be engaged in identifying risks, and if we See Something, Say Something. Team members are expected to set an example for our safety process by accepting interventions and feedback and participating in our Stop & Think Process.
Stop & Think
Our Stop & Think process provides structure for a safety time out before responding to tasks or upset conditions. The Stop & Think question prompts are reviewed and evaluated prior to beginning a task and help validate risks and train on processes.
The Logan Aluminum POWER Process is to aid team members in recognizing and eliminating risks by using a Behavioral Based Safety process which encourages safe behavior. The goal of the POWER Process is to achieve and maintain an injury free workplace by REDUCING at-risk behaviors and INCREASING safe behaviors.
Emergency Preparedness & Response
The Logan Aluminum Fire Department manages emergency situations for the entire facility and is made up of volunteer team members from production, maintenance, support, and staff units. We also have our medical staff, state certified EMT’s, and on-site ambulance transport.
“We shall strive to reduce our environmental footprint and risk profile for Logan Aluminum through superior operational performance and compliance to achieve environmental excellence in all areas.”
- Meet or surpass all governmental requirements
- Reduce the severity of environmental incidents
- Reduce, reuse and recycle process materials and waste streams
- Review and advocate effective pollution control technologies and best practices
- Continue to improve environmental communications, quality of environmental reporting and follow-up, training and awareness programs.
The Logan Aluminum Wetlands is a man-made ecosystem spanning over 40 acres, which acts as a natural filtration of our processed wastewater and reduces our dependence on energy and treatment chemicals. Our Wetlands have been naturally filtering our processed wastewater since 1992!
What We Are Doing Now
Logan Aluminum sets new goals and initiatives each year that directly impact our environmental sustainability. Currently, we have programs directly related to training our engineers on methods to reduce identified emissions, reducing the use of Styrofoam cups and food containers by 75%, and reduction of landfill waste intensity. We are forever evolving our environmental efforts as we look forward.